Being in lockdown presents many challenges, not least attempting to shop for groceries. With online deliveries being hard to come by and a shortage of food on the shelves, a lot of people are finding themselves having to come up with alternatives for cooking and baking.
Last weekend I made this yummy eggless vanilla sponge from a recipe I found online. I was low on eggs and was pleased to find a way to bake without using any. This is a great sponge cake without eggs for when you are struggling to find eggs or do not like eggs.
Recipe below (courtesy of Mummy’s Home Cooking). I tweaked mine a bit.
2 cups (420 gr) granulated sugar
1 cup (226 gr) unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups (560gr) self-rising flour
2 cups (450ml) whole milk (you can substitute with any plant milk you like)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease three 8-inch round cake pans with flour-based baking spray, or grease pans and line bottoms with parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and butter until creamy and pale. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the flour alternately, with milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the mixing bowl with a spatula and turn the batter over several times to ensure all of the ingredients are well incorporated. Beat just until incorporated. Do not overmix this batter.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pans (2 1/2 cups of batter in each pan approximately).Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when poked in the center.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool. Remove from the pan and decorate to your liking.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when poked in the center.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool. Decorate to your liking.